topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Your PC or the Company’s?
Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years ago Karma: -1  
It may be too early in this remote working trend to tell, but it would be interesting to see the cost savings a company could expect over the long term - say 5 or 10 years - from reducing physical office space, not to mention the environmental and employee-satifaction benefits. Up-front costs could be significant, not only in equipping employees with the right technology, but also is changing the company's incentive culture to promote working-at-home discipline, but I'm guessing in the longer term the company saves money.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years ago Karma: 0  
I tend to think that the big hangup is not going to be the companies offering at home work but people having problems adjusting to at home work. As a work from home person I have heard many people wish they could do a job at home full time but it does require a large amount of discipline which is not required at a physical workplace. When you are at work, the physical existence at a workplace makes people think and do the work (well, most of the time), but when you are at home many of the fun distractions which exist in your home life are available and thus harder to ignore.

-sean

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 5 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0  
Among "Gartner's Top Predictions for IT Organizations and Users, 2011 and Beyond," released today is:

By 2014, 90 percent of organizations will support corporate applications on personal devices.

"The trend toward supporting corporate applications on employee-owned notebooks and smartphones is already under way in many organizations and will become commonplace within four years," Gartner analysts predict.

Interestingly, Gartner looks beyond the upcoming "next phase of the consumerization trend," in which it is employees rather than IT that is the main driver for adoption of mobile devices (consumer-driven smartphones or notebooks, rather than "old-style limited enterprise devices" ) toward an even longer-term shift in "the attention of users and IT organizations from devices, infrastructure and applications to information and interaction with peers."

I'm not sure we've fully embraced this consumerization of IT, but Gartner predicts that this change in view will "herald the start of the postconsumerization era."

I can't wait!

It is my personal technical opinion that they are dreaming. With the level of information security publicity lately and the continuing threat of information theft. Believing that 90% of corporations are going to open their networks to personal devices is a stretch at best, of course this also depends on their measure of what a 'corporate application' is.

-sean

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 5 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: -1  
I don't know that IT departments will have a choice but to support personal devices on the network. When the CEO comes in with an iPad and wants it to access corporate email, what should the answer be?

It seems the better strategy than trying to fight it might be to join it, so to speak. There are ways of securing these devices - such as third-party apps from enterprise vendors such as Cisco - so that the potential for damage is limited.

Well if the CEO comes in and says I want the network to be open to these devices then fine, they think the threat is acceptable and it is their call. To believe that these devices are not a threat is naive, now I agree that there are technologies out there which can be used to secure these devices on the network, including ones that would audit the device and ensure proper policy before allowing access. However, this is assuming that the employees would want this software to run on their hardware. Inside restrictions, I have no problems allowing them to use a corporate network I am responsible for, it is unrestricted access I have issues with. As I have said in the past the other option is to just run a secondary network for those devices which are not subject to corporate policy. This is easy as the technology already exists to isolate those clients failing policy review. Any devices which use the network and fail this review could be subject to a limited access policy.

-sean

Go to top Post Reply