topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:The Challenges of a Mobile Workforce (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:The Challenges of a Mobile Workforce
The Challenges of a Mobile Workforce 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3  
Next to budget cuts, business intelligence and cloud computing, what’s one thing that’s on every IT leader’s mind? The increasing mobility of today’s workforce, and the challenges that represents.

It can be a difficult balancing act: Protecting your company’s data, while ensuring that staffers can access necessary information and applications when on the road or working at home. What tools is your organization using to overcome these obstacles? In what ways can companies make remote collaboration more effective?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:The Challenges of a Mobile Workforce 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: -1  
With broadband access ubiquitous these days from most home office locations, my company enables workers to work 1-2 days per week from their home. We have set up a Virtual Private Network which enables all workers to securely access the corporate network and all applications the employees need to perform their task. I find the VPN to be secure and generally reliable.

Re:The Challenges of a Mobile Workforce 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1  
I've taken to allowing my reports to work from their homes 3 to 4 days a week and only coming into the office location when needed (staff meetings, special project work, or when implementing new programs across the infrastructure).

With today's VPN solutions and Cloud solutions there is little reason to worry about productivity. I think there could be a use for lower end solutions similar to what Cisco has employed with Telepresence. I'm wondering if Polycom or any other competitors have implemented lower end solution? Such solutions made more affordable would go a long way to making remote collaboration happen.

I knoow Microsoft and others are working on collaboration based products, so for example Sharepoint has become one of the most common ways for sharing data around the world. And certainly you've had a long run at making romote access to a PC possible via telecommunications based software solutions, but the basic structure remains flawed if we, as human beings, are going to be more collaborative working remotely. Something more seamless and more affordable needs to come about to address the question asked by Mr. Eggebrecht above.

Last Edit: 2009/10/20 09:55 By JohnSane.
Re:The Challenges of a Mobile Workforce 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
Think smart. The private banking group of Wachocia/Wells Fargo discussed event-based marketing at the Teradata Partners meeting this week -- in a proof of concept their relationship managers are notified whenever a customer has a deposit or wirthdrawal of at least $20,000 and more than 150 percent of their highest previous transaction in the last six months.
But they don't send the details to the relationship managers -- just a notice to find the details on an internal site.

Mobile and remote workers are becoming a major part of some firms' green efforts since they are determining that a big part of their carbon footprint is from commuting.

Re:The Challenges of a Mobile Workforce 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 14  
In addition to the technology tools needed to make remote collaboration more effective organizations also need to pay attention to the communication challenges inherent in remote work. It's one thing to have the tools to set up a teleconference, but how do you engage the people sitting in their home offices when their attention is diverted by email, texting and continuing to work on pending projects? How many people tune out at these meetings and don't pay attention to what is being said? How do you make people feel valued when their face time with other employees and their bosses is limited? These are the real challenges of mobile work.

Re:The Challenges of a Mobile Workforce 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3  
Good points on the communications front, Ellen. There's been considerable talk about the importance of keeping remote workers feeling connected through teleconferencing, but if out-of-office staffers are focusing on other work during the calls (and I agree that there's likely a tendency to do so), it sort of defeats the purpose.

Go to top Post Reply