topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Smartphone Users Throwing Caution to Wind? (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Smartphone Users Throwing Caution to Wind?
Re:Smartphone Users Throwing Caution to Wind? 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
I suppose this depends on how good the virus writer is. Much of the time a sync doesn't overright everything on the device and thus would leave a virus intact. Just think if you could write a virus to monitor the communications from a mobile and send it back to a central storage point. There are so many different ways this data could be used to exploit people.

-sean

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Smartphone Users Throwing Caution to Wind? 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: -1  
sediga wrote:
QUOTE:
I still think that there is no benefit in putting viruses on handhelds. What’s the point? If you put a virus on a PC (from the hacker’s perspective), the PC is useless and there is some sadistic satisfaction. If you put a virus on the cell phone, the next time you “sync” the virus gets wiped.

Why would a virus necessarily get wiped by a sync?

As has already been pointed out, I think you're using too narrow a vision of malware to see the possibilities here. If the virus "phones home" with some of the key data inside the phone, that could be of value. What if all it does is send a random contact back to a control server? I'm sure there are other possibilities.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply