topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:multi-core multi-cpu configuration. Do we need it? (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:multi-core multi-cpu configuration. Do we need it?
multi-core multi-cpu configuration. Do we need it? 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
I would like a candid discussion about multi-core vs. multi-cpu discussion. With 8-core CPUs, do we need multi-CPU machines? Can we get a single CPU machine with 8 cores and save tons of money? Which of the following makes sense:

2 x (single CPU machine) vs. 1 x (dual CPU machine)

The same argument makes sense with dual and quad CPU machines.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:multi-core multi-cpu configuration. Do we need it? 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
I would think this would be a decision for the EE folk. It seems to me that for most things a multi-core PC would have the advantage but the real question is available paths to and from the processor. Obviously if the road is not big enough to get in and out of a really fast processing plant then what is the point.

-sean

Re:multi-core multi-cpu configuration. Do we need it? 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
The paths are aggregate in that the total available is equal to the sum of all the parts. Maybe that’s just my assumption and that is not the case. I think the programming models are the same!? Two cores vs. two CPUs? Is cost the only variable?

This is what I am wondering, I know between the Core 2's (Normal not extreme) and the newer i series of Intel processors there is a significant change in how the bus is organized as there is no longer have a traditional northbridge (I believe this is what I recall). In this situation the memory controller is integrated into the processor and not a separate entity. These types of technologies when used with a multi-core chip probably make the multicores more power efficient and a better overall choice. But there are so many cores that can fit on one die still so for large servers the multi-cpu approach may still win out.

-sean

My issue is that the price difference is too significant: <<10k for a 2CPU, and >30k for a 4CPU. Is that justified?

Re:multi-core multi-cpu configuration. Do we need it? 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: -1  
For general business end users, this is a completely academic question. Does a person writing up a proposal ever have any chance of seeing a difference between a multi-core CPU or a single-core, multi-CPU machine? I think not.

And it doesn't seem like even most of the heavy-hitting applications show any difference to end users, either. We use a 3D CAD program, SolidWorks, and it seems just fine on the single-chip, multi-core CPU's in the machines running it.

I'm no programmer, so I can't speak from the development side. From the end-user side, however, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. In the end, it all looks the same.

Go to top Post Reply