topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:What is the best Wireless WAN data plan? (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:What is the best Wireless WAN data plan?
Re:What is the best Wireless WAN data plan? 6 Years ago Karma: 0  
I agree, I think that in the very near future (should Clear's financials stay strong), 4G will be a significant player in the broadband space. Especially in areas where FTTH has not been implemented yet or in areas which are very spread out and more expensive to deploy.

-sean

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:What is the best Wireless WAN data plan? 6 Years ago Karma: -1  
Fiber hasn't played out as many advocates believed it would. I haven't paid close enough attention to ascertain why so. Still, it's starting to look like Wireless (whatever the final form may be) is going to be the only reliable way to bring broadband to the masses. And I say that even knowing that municpal WiFi hasn't had much success, either.

Clear has a very impressive product. No doubt. And Sprint's 3G augmentation is actually quite good. Frankly, Sprint's 3G coverage has been more reliable for me than 3G on AT&T. Somethign that stung AT&T with Verizon's recent ad campaign. but how it compares once Verizon actually starts rolling out LTE? Only time will tell. The clock's ticking, and Verizon is quite the behemoth to take on if Clear hasn't established itself solidly in the market by then.

Re:What is the best Wireless WAN data plan? 5 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0  
I agree, these wireless offerings will be the ones to really look at especially in markets where fiber availability is not readily available. I do however think that fiber will continue to grow but mainly for those looking for the higher speeds which are not currently available from wireless technologies. In many areas cable and FTTH providers are offering 50+ Meg to the house which is quite appealing. The real question will be cost and availability.

-sean

Re:What is the best Wireless WAN data plan? 5 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0  
I still remember going from 2G to 3G and all the hype the carriers placed on Map Service Coverage area for voice and data. Without question Verizon has the greatest coverage in terms of 3G, and there is the whole issue of GSM coverage vs CDMA coverage, but ultimately I want a phone service to work and not gauge me every month. Having used AT&T, Sprint and Verizon now, I can honestly say it is always a tough choice. They all play up thier own flexibility and network coverages, but really it just doesn't make sense in terms of their customer service (especially AT&T). They introduce new phones to take advantage of their broadband capabilities and then change their unlimited data structures to punish the early adopters of these newer phones. Verizon seems to be the best data service for my money right now.

Re:What is the best Wireless WAN data plan? 5 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0  
Well keep in mind that Sprint still offers unlimited plans which include their tv offerings. And with their agreements with Verizon and other carriers coverage is not an issue.

-sean

Re:What is the best Wireless WAN data plan? 5 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: -1  
srw134 wrote:
QUOTE:
Well keep in mind that Sprint still offers unlimited plans which include their tv offerings. And with their agreements with Verizon and other carriers coverage is not an issue.

-sean

Not *quite* so. From Sprint's Terms & Conditions for their "Simply Everything" plan:
QUOTE:
Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem):The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.

So they don't, technically, limit your bandwidth, but they reserve the right to act on it. In some defense of Sprint, I think the other three national carriers, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, they actually charge when that 5GB is exceeded, so it's still a relatively good deal. But watch that "unlimited" expectation. It may not be all you expect of it.

Go to top Post Reply