topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
iPhone on Verizon or AT&T Network? (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: iPhone on Verizon or AT&T Network?
iPhone on Verizon or AT&T Network? 5 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster offered two sets of estimates for iPhone sales in 2011:

1 - A "conservative" scenario in which Verizon sells 9 million iPhones in 2011 at the expense of AT&T, which sells 4.6 million fewer than it sold in 2010

2 - A no-cannibalization scenario in which AT&T continues to sell iPhones at its current rate and Verizon sells nearly as many in 2011 as AT&T did in 2010.

Which do you think will pan out, are you an AT&T or Verizon fan?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:iPhone on Verizon or AT&T Network? 5 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
I know people like to complain about AT&T's network but in the several years that I was with them I never has a big issue with their network regardless of location. I have however had issues with the Verizon network, so for me my experience seems to be against the grain. The only reason that I ended up switching to a third carrier was because I though the iPhone 4 was a crap product and the best other phones available are not with either of these carriers.

-sean

As I usually do, I think reality will be somewhere in the middle of the two scenarios. AT&T will undoubtedly lose some iPhone sales to Verizon due to the bad rap its network gets, but my own experience with the iPhone 3GS on AT&T are that the network issues are way overblown (in part because some of the localized issues were in NY and SF, that has an out-sized influence on media noise). Clearly AT&T has been gaining subs due to its iPhone exclusive, and with the exclusive lost, it has to compete on network/pricing/service/etc. But I think the $1.9 billion invested in the network this year has helped. And my guess is that it's iPhone sales may be down in 2011, but nowhere near that 4.6 million that the cannibalization scenario suggests.

--Rob

Re:iPhone on Verizon or AT&T Network? 5 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2  
All I know is I had an iPhone 4 for five days and it was the worst phone I've ever had. That aside, I do think Verizon will sell way more iPhones than AT&T -- I think it's just something that's been waiting to happen. I'm not sure, however, if the gap will be as big as Piper Jaffray projects. I think ultimately how well the iPhone does on Verizon is up to Apple and how successfully they integrate the different technology Verizon uses to adapt the iPhone for Verizon customers. (SIM cards and 3G for AT&T vs. what Verizon has)

I suppose that is why I ended up going with an Android product, while I loved the iPhone 3G, the 4 does not really have the same buzz in my mind and will (and is) be taken over by android options. On a separate note, I have not had any problems with the Sprint network (3G or 4G) so I guess I will stay here for a while.

-sean

Re:iPhone on Verizon or AT&T Network? 5 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
Verizon poured some gas onto the iPhone fire when it announced that it would offer the same $30 unlimited data plan for the iPhone as it offers for all of its other smartphones. I think I am now ready to jump in!!

Go to top Post Reply