topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Your PC or the Company’s?
Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
Determination of technology utilization should not be an employee decision. It must be management driven, with all the relevant factors considered. Especially in regulated industries (Healthcare, financial, etc) the use of outside devices can be a major compliance violation. In other scenarios, utilization of personal hardware can be a benefit.

No one can argue that bringing outside devices such as laptops into an enterprise is a huge security risk. Unless specific security parameters are inspected and validated each time the hardware leaves and returns, you may as well just remove your firewalls and put all your company data on the internet. Once a laptop leaves the protected company network, it is subject to compromise. How do you ensure that bringing it back in won't compromise everything else?

While there are methods like central antivirus, network access protection, and personal firewalls that minimize the risks, implementing these technologies is not trivial and when you expand beyond a known dataset of hardware/software, managing the risks becomes high maintenance. It's easy for MS or Cisco to say "just implement network access protection" but the costs can be staggering.

For a business like a bank or health clinic, the answer is probably "just say no" and termination penalties for offenders. For others, there may not be any sensitive data to protect. It truly comes down to good management involvement with data security and risk management.

Employees, while often vocal about the desire to use their own devices for business, really have no say in the matter. Unless it's their business, they should be expecting to use company resources to do their work. And the companies need to provide adequate hardware to do the work, too. It does not have to be as good as the employee's new home system, as long as it provides what MANAGEMENT considers appropriate productivity. If an employee can justify to management the ROI for getting them a new beefier laptop, then perhaps they should be provided with one. But the ability to watch YouTube videos or play Halo faster isn't a business justification.

In the vast majority of cases, utilizing non-corporate assets for corporate work is a non-starter, at least where computers are concerned. There's just too much risk and the responsibility rests with upper management.

Now, cell phones are another story... ;-)

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1  
I find this to be a very interesting topic, since it lends itself to a debate about just where your personal freedoms end and a company's right to security begin. Most smaller companies, who are perceived as more nimble, sometimes look past the limitation of security concerns to focus on the benefits of having other devices (non corporate sanctioned devices) hooking into their networks. I can see the arguement from a Corp. IT world, and from a business standpoint I think some flexibility is called for these days. Especially in a world of 24/7 business realities.

I understand more and more mobile devices will be accessing public and private clouds in the next couple of years. Most of these devices have security holes you could drive a truck through. How do you maintain security of your infrastructure and yet allow for flexibility for your work force. It is accepted that companies have a right to company email accounts, it should be accepted that companies should have a right to any personal device that would have access to the corporate infrastructure.

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
Flexibility is well and good but when it could cost the company a great amount of money the justification just isn't there. I would however say that a good approach would be to setup a secondary network for non-corporate devices inside a company to allow some amount of device use, but this network would be outside the security of the companies network.

-sean

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
What you are saying basically calls for the company to provide an insecure network for personal access. I am not really in favor of that. I am in favor of Wireless WAN access for non-Corp validated devices. As WWAN becomes more prevalent and more widely available, the prices would drop. It would the same end result – insecure accessible network – but it is not provided by the company but a third party provider.

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
Well true, I am not saying that setting up a secondary network would be my first choice but simply a choice. As I have said in other posts Wi-Max or Mobile network alternatives tend to be the best solution in these situations.

-sean

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
They are cheap too - but I would like them to be cheaper.
if a company locks down their network and not allow unauthorized copying of data, then having a WWAN connection to access personal information would not be a danger to the company. Personal freedom and security!

Go to top Post Reply