topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Your PC or the Company’s?
Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
Citrix has a vigorous BYOC program of its own, which it adopted in part because it felt it should itself be using something it was promoting to customers. Others of its products, such as Citrix Receiver, have been put for as likely to enable BYOC.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
It is an interesting idea but the security problems remain. I will be interested to see what the policy documents are concerning these computers being attached to company networks. What are the minimum requirements and how are they monitored. There are technologies available which can audit the PC's as they attach to ensure proper security measures before it is allowed to communicate with other computers. I would assuming these technologies would be best deployed in these instances.

-sean

Another possibility is the use of a VM that is “saved” on corporate network, and loaded on your PC when you are at work. VM’s have security restrictions that won’t allow them to copy files, etc – and you can use your own PC all you want. The VM is connected to corp network, and the host OS is connected via some WWAN connectivity to public network. I have setup this type of environment before, and it works very well ---

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: -1  
These VM and bare-metal hypervisor solutions seem like much more manageable alternatives to BYOC models. I think IT needs to ultimately have control over the systems that employees are using. Consider end of life - how does IT ensure that an old PC owned by a user but that has corporate data on it is wiped of that data and disposed of properly, if they don't own and track the asset?

The bottom line for me is that I would probably not support this concept in a workplace environment, there are just to many questions. However, these types of solutions must be researched as telecommuting is becoming more and more popular.

-sean

Computing and computers are becoming so ubiquitous that the line between personal and work PC is all but faded away. We do need to have control over the assets, but the assets are electronic documents. If we control the access and flow of t he documents, why do you care if the PC is yours or your company’s?

Go to top Post Reply