topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Your PC or the Company’s?
Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3  
It used to be simple: A company supplied its employees with PCs and managed them. But, as indicated by a new survey by IT services provider Unisys, those days may be becoming a thing of the past.

Of the 532 information workers Unisys surveyed, 36 percent said they prefer to bring their own PCs to work, and 19 percent prefer a hosted virtual desktop. Forty-five percent favored the traditional model. “Today’s multi-generational, technology-smart workforce is no longer satisfied with a restrictive model of enterprise IT support,” said Tony Doye, president of global outsourcing and infrastructure services at Unisys.

Employees want continual access on their own terms, according to Unisys, which cited a Gartner survey that found 43 percent of companies letting employees use their own devices at work.

What’s your company’s policy? Are your employees and peers increasingly demanding to move beyond the traditional model? Are the challenges worth the reward?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 14  
Interesting data. Now that the price of laptops has come way down, some knowledge workers may prefer to control their own destiny with their own PC. I wonder whether they expect the corporate tech support to help them if they have problems.

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 6  
If you are allowed to use a personal laptop or similar device at work, does the company then have the right to inspect that device and its contents? It's more or less accepted that when working on a corporate PC, the company may have monitoring software in place to ensure company policies aren't being violated. I'd be curious to hear what the policy is on this front at different companies.

Mel Duvall
Editor, CIOZone
ciony ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1  
It would be interesting to know if the study had information about the size of the organization the respondents were from. My experience indicates that the practice of allowing employees to use their personal laptops, etc. tends to be more prevalent in younger/smaller organizations that don't have as many formal controls. In advocating such a policy, the IT staff at these organizations are indeed forced to contend with supporting the plethora of different devices, O/Ses, etc. since the role of IT is to maintain the productivity of the workforce, even if this practice undermines the productivity of the IT staff at a certain scale. If a company is going to go down this road, they should at least set certain minimum hardware and software requirements, especially in the anti-virus arena.

The move toward cloud computing may make the hardware used less of an issue, and as hybrid online/offline experiences like iTunes become a bigger part of people's lives it will be natural for them to want to use the same machine for personal and professional purposes. However, I think that if employees were subjected to a policy whereby the company had the right to inspect their personal PCs or require that data encryption software be installed on it, their preferences would rapidly change to having a company-provided device.

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3  
Unisys didn't provide details on the sizes of the companies at which the surveyed employees work, though I agree that information would be helpful in interpreting the data.

Interestingly, the Gartner survey that Unisys cites
found that 10 percent of staffers are using their own notebooks as their primary work PC, a percentage that the participating companies expect to rise to 14 percent by the middle of next year. That's fairly rapid growth, and it will make the security questions all the more pressing.

Re:Your PC or the Company’s? 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
I must say if I was putting my IT management hat on I would never allow workers to use their own systems at work AND use the companies network. If they wanted to use a AT&T, Verizon or Clear solution for their broadband then I would have less of a problem with it. To allow these employees to bring this amount of risk into the companies network is just a bomb waiting to go off.

-sean

Go to top Post Reply