topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
MS Wins Big in Cloud Business (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: MS Wins Big in Cloud Business
Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
As I am not deploying MS that much lately I took a look at the Lync product. It looks like a good step for MS to take in terms of merging the capabilities of multiple technologies under a single collaborative interface. I would however like to see how well it integrates and tests over the time.

-sean

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: -1  
Agreed. But it's off to a great start. I was at the recent launch of a Chicago-area Microsoft Store, and they had reps from MS's Lync team running on laptops, and it seemed to connect very well.

It seemed to tie presence in very tightly with email, cell phone, office phone, and even IM.

Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
If you end up test bedding it, keep us in the loop. It would be nice to keep a pulse on this product as it seems to be heading in the right direction.

-sean

Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: -1  
That is an interesting point about Microsoft potentially missing the boat with small and medium businesses, particularly since those are the companies that will presumedly embrace cloud before enterprises. It may be that small and medium businesses' vendor choice for Cloud dictates who will dominate in this market.

ciony ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1  
Cara, I strongly believe that the potential and proof of the cloud will be driven by small and medium-sized business, just as we've seen with mobile that consumer adoption is driving enterprise thinking. Micro forces are driving macro trends.

Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 6  
Going back to the original thread on Microsoft's success in the cloud email arena, it was interesting to see this week that Cisco has pulled the plug on its cloud-based email entry, called Cisco Mail.

Cisco introduced the product in November of 2009, but this week Debra Chrapaty, head of Cisco's collaboration software group, said the company was pulling the plug on the offering. "The product has been well received, but we've since learned that customers have come to view their email as a mature and commoditized tool versus a long-term differentiated element of their collaboration strategy," she wrote in a company blog.

Sounds like Cisco came to the conclusion it couldn't compete against Microsoft and Google on price.

Mel Duvall
Editor, CIOZone
Go to top Post Reply