topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
MS Wins Big in Cloud Business (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: MS Wins Big in Cloud Business
MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
Not to be outdone by Google, who recently announced
an e-mail deal with the GSA, Microsoft is pressing forward with a large Cloud migration of its own.

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture is ready to go live with Microsoft's cloud services. In the next four weeks, the
agency will move 120,000 users to Microsoft Online services, including e-mail, Web conferencing, document collaboration, and instant messaging."

This is a pretty big win for MS and a lot is on the line if they want to win more business like this.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: -1  
Agreed - Microsoft is getting a lot of positive attention for its cloud services with this announcement from the federal government. It represents a big win over Google. But now, for the execution...

Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
I would guess that the majority of the users being migrated are also on the low side of the security clearance. It would make much more sense to migrate those people first to test the security of the solution, then if it is exploited little it lost in terms of security related information.

-sean

Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: -1  
It is significant, for sure. Microsoft has been pushing its new Lync unified communications platform very strongly, and they are even beta testing a SaaS version called Office365.

They've even included a license for MS Office 2010 Professional Plus in one of the enterprise plans for Office365. It sounds like this is what the Dept of Agriculture is signing on for.

Can't wait for general availability of this. I might sign up for it myself.

ciony ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1  
Clearly these kinds of large enterprise deals are important for the credibility of hosted MS services, but I think MS is missing an opportunity with the small and medium-sized businesses that have lifted Google to success. As a medium-sized organization, we've looked at using Microsoft's hosted options to date but I've found very little outreach to customers outside of the Fortune 500 enterprise class.

Re:MS Wins Big in Cloud Business 5 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: -1  
ciony wrote:
QUOTE:
Clearly these kinds of large enterprise deals are important for the credibility of hosted MS services, but I think MS is missing an opportunity with the small and medium-sized businesses that have lifted Google to success. As a medium-sized organization, we've looked at using Microsoft's hosted options to date but I've found very little outreach to customers outside of the Fortune 500 enterprise class.

True enough, unfortunately. There are several plans available for Office365 once it moves out of Beta. Maybe it's not too late for MS to make a move here. I know that I was *very* impressed with demos I've seen of Lync.

Last Edit: 2011/01/07 23:27 By robjvargas.
Go to top Post Reply