topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:If ROI Wasn’t the Driving Concern ... (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:If ROI Wasn’t the Driving Concern ...
Re:If ROI Wasn’t the Driving Concern ... 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 6  
I've always admired the way companies like 3M have inspired employees to think outside the box and come up with new products or business opportunities - like the 3M sticky note - that may not be core to the business.

In that spirit, I would like to see more companies set up opportunity labs or skunkworks projects, where employees can share in the rewards for their creative and innovative thinking.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Mel Duvall
Editor, CIOZone
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:If ROI Wasn’t the Driving Concern ... 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
I am not sure if this question can truly be answered. This is simply because there have been no situations in our lives that some sort of an ROI was not measured. In school, your ROI are your grades. In your personal life, your ROI is sheer “happiness”; whatever that may be. At work, your ROI these days is simply having a job. I am of the mindset that if there is no reason for people to do good or be good, they won’t be.

Re:If ROI Wasn’t the Driving Concern ... 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 6  
Jonathan Reichental, the CIO of O'Reilly Media, wrote an enlightening column recently about the importance of being able to look beyond ROI and the daily demands of being a CIO and see the big picture. The most importnat thing a CIO can do, he maintains, is inspire and help create a tech vision.

"It turns out that inspiring staff by creating a vision and strategy for technology is one of the lowest costs, yet most effective things a CIO can do," he said. "A vision that produces positive results reminds everyone why we do thsi in the first place."

Reichental makes the argument that while it may be difficult to peg an ROI on it, inspiring others has considerable value - and it feels great.

Mel Duvall
Editor, CIOZone
ciony ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:If ROI Wasn’t the Driving Concern ... 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1  
I think that the practice that Google engages in of allowing employees a percentage of their time to pursue personal research projects touches on a lot of the themes in the responses to this question. A vision of innovation and constant improvement is espoused by dedicating time to these values, and this practice undoubtedly serves as an aid in retention. Even though ROI is not the driving concern, they have been fairly effective at driving some returns from this practice as well. Overall I think it's a policy which serves a lot of desirable objectives.

Re:If ROI Wasn’t the Driving Concern ... 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 6  
Google is a great example. The reports out this week that Google is testing a technology that allows cars to drive themselves, is another demonstration of how it is willing to explore the boundaries and invest in innovation. As you state, they might not have a firm ROI case for the driverless car today, but who knows what benefits may be derived down the road.

Mel Duvall
Editor, CIOZone
Re:If ROI Wasn’t the Driving Concern ... 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0  
Google is a rare example. Look at the market today; jobless is high, people are still not really happy with their jobs or scared about losing their jobs; companies are still cutting back both in spending and IT; etc, etc. While google is a good example of what companies should do, if you sit down with any executive these days and you actually get them to speak candidly, they would tell you that they are not sure if they are going to be around in 5 years. And if they are not thinking that way, I would wonder why. I would say that it all comes down to ROI; now more than ever, and probably for a very very long future.

Go to top Post Reply