topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Firefox Browser to Pass IE in Usage and Adoption in Europe (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Firefox Browser to Pass IE in Usage and Adoption in Europe
Firefox Browser to Pass IE in Usage and Adoption in Europe 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 7  
The July browser market share reports according to StatCounter show that Firefox will be overtaking Microsoft IE's market share next month - in Europe. The two browsers are both within 1 point of 40% market share, IE at 41% and FF at 39%.

Europeans more readily adopt Firefox than Americans: In
Germany, Firefox has a 61% market share, while IE has only 25%. Google Chrome is usage is now above 10%.

What does this say to market leaders? Never be complacent and always innovate.

What is your favorite browser and what is your corporate standard browser?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Firefox Browser to Pass IE in Usage and Adoption in Europe 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
Some shops like to do all their business with one supplier to simplify matters. That's a valid concern, especially in IT where compatibility is a major issue. Personally, I prefer to use more than one supplier when feasible. I have plenty invested in Microsoft products, so I lean toward Firefox. Having said that, some services still require Internet Explorer, so I keep it around for them. I used to think Firefox was quite a bit faster, but these days they seem about the same the way I use them.

Last Edit: 2010/08/04 17:30 By mhenricks.
Re:Firefox Browser to Pass IE in Usage and Adoption in Europe 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
I agree, I tend to use Firefox as it has been traditionally faster and has had more add-on's which I tend to use. However, this speed increase has come under debate with the introduction of Chrome and Safari. For the moment I still use Firefox with IE backing it up.

-sean

Re:Firefox Browser to Pass IE in Usage and Adoption in Europe 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: -1  
I used to think that people used Firefox so that they wouldn't have to use IE...now it seems that Firefox's advantages stand on their own, and people are using it not just because it's open source or it's not by Microsoft, but because it's a good piece of software.

Re:Firefox Browser to Pass IE in Usage and Adoption in Europe 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0  
You know I started using Firefox because it was faster as at the time (and still) IE was large and slow. Of course it support more technologies but was coded very inefficiently. Now unfortunately Firefox is jumping into that same boat, however the advantage that they have is many of the add-ins used to support these different services can be disabled or removed easily.

-sean

Re:Firefox Browser to Pass IE in Usage and Adoption in Europe 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0  
I have used Firefox for years. Security was the main reason I switched. Speed and ease of use are top on my list as well.

However, my pre-schooler came home last year and saw me on my laptop and said, "Are you using Firefox?"! My girls don't even know what IE is because I hide the icons when they get a new computer or I install a new OS.

One of my professors even says in class, "Firefox good, IE bad!" And the class is Computers I, so many of the students in the class have next to no computer savvy!

I think it is just a matter of time (and it won't be too distant in the future) before Firefox passes IE in the U.S. as well.

-- CharlesB

P.S. I'm now playing around with Chrome, just to see how it works. So far I'm very happy with the minimalist feel to it and I haven't had any websites tell me it wasn't supported.

Go to top Post Reply