topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Fring Says Skype are Cowards - Who is Right (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Fring Says Skype are Cowards - Who is Right
Fring Says Skype are Cowards - Who is Right 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3  
This bit of dispute becomes relevant to the CIOZone.com audience as many Senior IT folks use Skype daily to communicate.

Skype and Fring are squabbling. Fring first made a claim that Skype was blocking Fring. Then in one of their corporate blog posts they call Skype "Cowards".

"Now that Fring expanded capacity to support the huge demand for video calling for all users, Skype has blocked us from doing so". They are afraid of open mobile communication. Cowards".

Skype has responded - stating that Fring's misuse of Skype software was "damaging their brand and reputation: There is no truth to Fring's claims that Skype has blocked it. Fring made the decision to remove Skype functionality on its own".

Who is correct here - does it matter? or is all that matters is recognizing this important trend in personal communications is growing and evolving.. Are we soon to be living in the "Jetsons" culture? Robots, etc. all we are missing are the personal flying disks..

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2010/07/14 09:23 By Bill Wilson.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Fring Says Skype are Cowards - Who is Right 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1  
Clearly Skype is taking a higher road; and one has to wonder how much of it is just a PR push by fring? They (fring) have a blog on their site called "Skype Cowardly Blocks fring" with a link out to a "news" related PR Release "Following fring’s string of mobile video calling wins - Skype blocks fring;" while Skype suggests a misuse of their licensing agreement with fring which lead them down the road of blocking Skype's video call capabilities on iOS 4. Not certain it will matter much in the end run since there is bound to be more entrants to the mobile video marketplace.

"Jetsons" culture? Maybe, but we will not utilize it as much as our children and their children.

Re:Fring Says Skype are Cowards - Who is Right 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
I think Mr. Sane it might be a matter of perspective. If you're at Fring, it is a matter of business sense, and if you're at Skype it is a function of growing larger and more Corporate. Perhaps it is worth considering the other competitive software companies out there and how they have operated over time. I remember a time when Borland and Microsoft use to go at it in similar fashion. Object oriented architecture was not really in vogue around Microsoft at that point, but the battles certainly were similar.

Fring's Skype gripe strikes me as unconvincing, unprofessional and counter-productive. Of course, Skype does not want more competition. What service provider does, really? In any event, I don't think it's a good idea for an upstart to stress over-much that it is not welcomed by the powers that be. I don't think that many people patronize a service out of love for the underdog. Some, but not many. I'd emphasize something else if I were Fring.

To me this just sounds like a political move from Fring. While it would be nice if Skype was supported with the Fring client, they have their own software which can perform the same tasks. Skype is taking the higher ground and is the larger of the two at the moment. I tend to thing this will work out in the short term, once the media cycle has had enough.

-sean

Go to top Post Reply