topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones?
Re:Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0  
I find it to be very difficult to pay attention and focus on these ereaders when I am reading a technical book. Dont know why really... I don't read much of anything else either, so I am not seeing the hype with ereaders to get to me that this point. I wish it did; it would have made my bad much much lighter.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 6  
After having used a an e-reader for a week (the Kobo device), I have come to the conclusion that they are, in fact, slower.
There are two reasons. The first is you can't fit the same number of words on a page - if you want to be able to read comfortably. The second is that there is a lag between when you click to turn a page and when the page uploads. I'm sure the lag is very small, but after a while, it becomes annoying.

Having said that, I still think e-readers are the way to go.

Mel Duvall
Editor, CIOZone
Re:Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3  
Most of the popular e-readers manage to refresh the page in about a second. Some are obviously a little quicker than others, with Amazon's Kindle performing particularly well in that regard.

The "page turn" on a Kindle gets a little quicker with every new device and software update. But since we're so accustomed to printed books, I think it's going to take some time before a refreshing screen seems as natural as a manual page turn, no matter how quick it gets.

Of course, a generation that grows up with e-readers and tablets isn't likely to feel that way ...

I tend to think these readers will probably be the right product for those that read allot of different types of material. I tend to think for most technical readers, most prefer paper but if reading a book by King or Koontz then maybe these readers would work well.

-sean

I am not sure the “slowness” of page turns is reason that many do not like the ereaders. The feel of a book in your hand is something that we all have gotten used to since we started reading… The “new” generation will feel differently though; something that I will always envy.

Re:Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3  
I certainly wouldn't argue that the feel of a physical book isn't a big reason that many don't like e-readers. But for me -- and I don't think I'm alone -- the e-reader page refresh takes me out of a book. That's fine for something that's less than immersive, like a newspaper or magazine article. But for fiction? It bugs me.

Go to top Post Reply