topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones?
Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? 5 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 0  
A recent PC World report on a study showing that reading from a printed book versus an e-book on any of the three tested devices, an iPad, Kindle 2, and PC was a faster experience to a significant degree.

The IPad readers measured on the reported reading speeds,
on average, of 6.2 percent slower than their print-reading counterparts, while readers on the Kindle 2 clocked in at 10.7 percent slower.

The users satisfaction levels after operating each device was also measured. For user satisfaction, the iPad, Kindle, and book all scored relatively equally at 5.8, 5.7, and 5.6 on a one-to-seven ranking scale (seven representing the
best experience). The PC received a usability score of 3.6.

The PC score does not surprise me. I was surprised by the time difference in paper vs electronic.

The convenience factor with electronic versions in my opinion outweighs the slower rate of reading.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2010/07/07 14:18 By tsheehan.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
ciony ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? 5 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 1  
I agree there is a convenience advantage with the e-versions, as well as cost; some of the prices on Kindle books are quite attractive compared to their physical counterparts. Depending on your commuting circumstances - which for me entails driving - I still find audiobooks the most convenient format, although extremely expensive.

Re:Are E-books a Slower Read than Printed Ones? 5 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0  
Foe technology/reference books, I still prefer paper. The kindle dodoes a good job at displaying the PDF version, and that's a big plus. The only thing missing is the ability to take notes. I don't see that in the near future with anything that's out there.

Even though it is slower reading on my Motorola Droid, simply because the pages need turned more often, I find that I read books faster. I believe this is due to the "convenience factor" mentioned above.

My Father used to carry a paperback in his back pocket and read while waiting anywhere. The size of paperbacks these days makes that almost impossible! However, I can carry several 800+ page books on my hip in my Droid and they are available any time I have the time.

Yep, for me, convenience wins out, even if it is physically slower to read my books.

-- Charles

I wonder if the PC World report attempted to account for the fact that most of us are far more used to reading books on paper than on screen. It seems possible or even likely to me that one could learn to read as fast on screen with some practice.

I don't find this all that surprising, when it comes down to reading the books that I read (technical), I always prefer paper books. I only use electronic copies of these books as a reference and really don't read anything else.

-sean

Go to top Post Reply