topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Keeping IT workers satisfied (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Keeping IT workers satisfied
Keeping IT workers satisfied 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
There's an old saying that you can't please everyone. But if the results of a new study on U.S. worker job satisfaction carry any weight, it's getting harder and harder to please the masses.

According to a new study conducted by The Conference Board, only 45% of Americans are satisfied with their work, which represents the lowest levels in 22 years. The figure is down from 49% in 2008.

Workers who are 25 and younger expressed the most dissatisfaction, with 64% reporting that they're unhappy in their roles.

Among the reasons for dissatisfaction cited in the study:

-Fewer workers consider their jobs to be interesting.
-Incomes have not kept up with inflation.
-The rising cost of health insurance has cut into workers' take-home pay.

Many CIOs have been hard-pressed to offer their staff raises beyond 3%-to-4% for each of the past few years as corporate bean counters have forced cost-cutting across the enterprise. But savvy CIOs find other ways of keeping IT workers engaged during good times and bad. These techniques include:

-Job rotations, both within the IT organization and throughout the enterprise. Highly-valued IT workers are sometimes given rotational assignments to further develop their skills. This could include a multi-month stint in a new technical discipline or in a different role on a project team. In other cases, IT staffers are placed directly into a business unit to help them learn more about what makes that business tick and become more responsive IT partners.

-Stretch assignments, such as giving a junior IT staffer an opportunity to either lead or play a significant role in a project.

-Mentorships, where an IT staffer or manager is either mentored by a supervisor to expand their skills and knowledge or to be a mentor to a fellow colleague.

-Additional technical or managerial training, often available through vendor partners without creating a budget burden.

There are plenty of other techniques for keeping IT workers engaged and satisfied outside of additional compensation. What are the most useful approaches you've come across?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied 6 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0  
Some of this is not really that surprising as who was the happiest when they were doing the junior work in their early twenties? The question is inspiration, its seems like many companies management still have yet to really inspire their employees and this just becomes harder in an environment where salary's and benefits are limited. The company that I worked for when I was 23 was great at inspiring the new people working for them and allowing them to see the influence that you had over the product (or service in my case).

-sean

Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied 6 Years ago Karma: 0  
Another thing to keep in mind is that the report is about 2008-10; not the best time to look for a job. I know a number of people that stayed put and are waiting for the economy to pick up. I figure the average person stays at a job for about 2-4 years. Many people have not been able to switch jobs for the past 2 years now due to the crappy economy and lower pay. I would say that once the economy picks up a little, there will be lots of people changing jobs.

Last Edit: 2010/06/15 04:33 By sediga.
Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied 6 Years ago Karma: 0  
I agree, I think there will be a mass changing of the guard in many of these companies once people start to feel comfortable in making the jump.

-sean

Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
It's also worth noting that gender may play a role. Men are more likely than women to be motivated by financial rewards and power, according to an analysis of people tested by Psychtest.com. Women were relatively more into maintaining a balanced lifestyle and improving the world.

Last Edit: 2010/08/30 11:52 By mhenricks.
Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0  
While I would say this is true, I have certainly seen a surge in the women I have worked with who are motivated by stability and money. Overall it does seem like these women reach a nice balance between getting what they are worth financially and getting the stability which is desired by many.

-sean

Go to top Post Reply