topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
"I'm the most loyal employee money can buy" (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: "I'm the most loyal employee money can buy"
"I'm the most loyal employee money can buy" 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3  
"I'm the most loyal employee money can buy"

Discuss - are we too late ? In this era of mergers, acquistion, layoffs, networking, outsourcing etc few employees expect their companies to look after them "for life". Should we expect any different from employees?

A comment from another practitioner on how "tone at the top" has an impact

- "Developing and retaining is the real challenge. Unfortunately the CIOs have started this attitude where if you are at a job for more than 3-5 years it is time to move on. They want everything done "now" so that they can add to their resume and promote themselves. The businesses have lost the loyalty of their employees because so many high executives have projected an attitude that you should not look towards your company to take care of you - you need to take care of yourself. This promoted an individualistic environment, whereby IT employees work to improve their resume for the next job. Also, the way we have been outsourcing many of the technical jobs overseas has not helped the IT environment. Having to work long hours on a regular basis promotes neither job loyalty nor does it inspire our children to want to enter our field. It has become a "lose - lose" method of operating for IT."

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:"I'm the most loyal employee money can buy" 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
Welcome to the age of Free Agency (aka-what have you done for me lately). Unfortunately this is mentality is not limited to the IT profession only. The good news is there are organizations who still value people and not just as "organizational capital". It just takes a little longer to find them.

Re:"I'm the most loyal employee money can buy" 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
Wow - I would hate to think it is too late! But, until employees consistently see rewards for showing loyalty, well then, why should they?

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. I don't think employees should look to companies to take care of them, but they should not have to look over their shoulder in fear all the time either.

Employees can and should own their professional development. Management should recognize their employees are people, not robots and not just a commodity.

Margaret Meloni
Re:"I'm the most loyal employee money can buy" 8 Years ago Karma: 1  
I agree with sveith in the fact that this is not limited only to the IT profession. Jobs are simply stepping stones in life. Everyone has this mentality and if we did not them all of us would still be in our first greasy kitchen of a fast food restaurant flipping burgers. You have to always be looking for the next best thing. Now don't get me wrong, I love my job and it brings me a lot of fulfillment but am I going to turn down another $20,000 a year and better benefits just because I like it here, not a chance. The way I look at it, and the way I taught my soldiers in the Army, is an employee is nothing more than a product you buy for your company. If you are the employee, or the product, you do the best job you can and preform at the maximum level and thus become a valuable asset to the employer. If you are the company, or the employer, then you get what you pay for. Any piece of equipment, including your employees, will cease to function if not taken care of properly. It is the employers job to maintain their equipment. In reference to the employee and company relationship there are many different ways to approach it and far to many to cover in this post. However, the bottom line is that if the current employer does not offer more than what is laid on the table then they will lose. Loyalty does not pay the bills and can only held for so long.

Carter

Re:"I'm the most loyal employee money can buy" 7 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
Agreed, and I believe the key is to find that organization that still values the Human Resources it has and build a career within it. Jobs are easy to find, even in difficult economies. What is harder to find are companies that value employees and are loyal to the notion of promoting and training.

ciony ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:"I'm the most loyal employee money can buy" 6 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 1  
The notion of company loyalty has an inherent flaw in it, and that is that a company is capable of returning loyalty that it receives from an employee; a company is a legal construct, an inanimate thing, that is incapable of returning a sentiment such as loyalty. Loyalty can only be exchanged between people, and hence it is the loyalty between an employee and his/her leaders that matters; there is rarely any meaningful institutional memory that persists outside the relationships forged between people. Good leaders will foster relationships, recognize hard work, and invest in their employees. Leaders are people, however, and by definition are transient - they move, take new jobs, get married, etc.; changes in leadership are also forced by other factors like M+A, etc., which are outside of the leader's control. There are therefore no guarantees that such relationships will last as long as an employee would like.

Some organizations have a vibrant enough culture whereby changes in leadership can be absorbed and remain a positive place to work; others do not, and this is often why you see entire teams of people follow good leaders throughout their career moves. In the face of these factors, employees can only control their performance, their dedication to remaining at the top of their game mainly through self-education (and, if fortunate, employer-provided training) and determination to forge strong bonds with leadership they hopefully respect and whose respect they have earned. Doing these things will garner the best compensation and ideally present the employee with options when organizational change occurs, as it always does.

Go to top Post Reply