topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied
Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0  
These are all good points. True, there hasn't been a lot of job movement between 2008 and 2010. And while I'm one of those people who has also predicted that there *could* be a mass exodus of workers leaving their existing employers once job opportunities really start to rev up, it will be interesting to see whether that actually occurs.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4  
We currently make major use of our vendors, like IBM, BMC and Compuware, to supply classes on their products. It actually works great, because the more a customer knows about a particular product, the more entrenched the product becomes in the infrastructure. The customer gains great insight into the product capabilities and how to use the product to the ultimate benefit of the company. The vendor gets to demonstrate the superiority of the product and how it actually delivers value to the business. A win win!

The simple use of training seems like common sense but many companies seem to leave many of their employees out by not providing this formal training in-house. If the employee is to be trained it ends up being on their dime and on their own time. It is nice to see that at least one more company has the right idea.

-sean

The training/investment picture is a bit muddled. Some companies continue to set aside a decent amount of capital for IT training, even in a down economy. Smart IT leaders recognize it's an important tool for keeping valuable IT staffers engaged and current with their skills. Unfortunately, training budgets are among the top areas cut by many companies when business conditions weaken.

Well I have seen this first hand, I have worked at companies with unlimited training budgets (in terms of certifications). In these companies as long as you stayed engaged and billing they would allow you to take as many tests as you wanted and provided the funds for the training materials. The idea behind this was that the more trained the employee the more projects they could be useful on (this was a consulting business). Of course, as the business gets hit these budgets contract. In a more typical organization, it is nice to see that employees are getting the training that is required to perform their jobs efficiently. Too many times I have been brought into companies mainly because the existing staff was undertrained (but technically able). It does seem like a common misconception that this training does not pay off but it does over time.

-sean

Re:Keeping IT workers satisfied 4 Years ago Karma: 0  
Brinn Black: As a young country music artist, Brinn Black has accomplished more than she could have ever dreamed of. Her debut single “Sweet Virginia Sunset” was played on over 150 stations around the world. She has toured across the nation, and been able to share the stage with some of country music’s biggest stars! According to Brinn, "my life is truly blessed“. When asked what compels her to write her songs she says, “I make music for myself because it's such an emotional outlet for me," Black says. From an early age, music has been an incredible escape for the young songbird. http://www.brinnblack.net/

Go to top Post Reply