topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
David Brown, President - Datotel (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: David Brown, President - Datotel
David Brown, President - Datotel 5 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0  

ViewProfile

Do you have a question for David Brown or care to comment or discuss his video
interview? Please post them below. For private comments you can email David
directly from his profile link above.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2010/06/10 13:12 By KGB.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:David Brown, President - Datotel 5 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0  
David -- welcome to the CIOZone's CIO Profiles & Perspectives. It was a pleasure speaking with you at CA World 2010 a few weeks ago, and getting your views on CA Technologies' ecoSoftware suite, based on your real-life experience with these products.

With all the conversation around 'green' and 'sustainable' technologies, it was most interesting to learn how a real business deals with practical, day-to-day opportunities to be more green while, at the same time improving the business's bottom line.

Thanks for taking the time to interact with our members.

Last Edit: 2010/06/09 16:39 By rlgreen.
Roger,

Thanks for the introduction and I‘m more than happy to discuss our experiences and lessons learned through implementing ecoSoftware at Datotel.

As I mentioned in the interview, we provide cloud computing resources and colocation environments from our 30,000 square foot datacenter. It is a very dynamic and complex infrastructure and while maintaining operations within service level agreements is a top priority, the more efficiently we can deliver services to our clients the better.

We’re doing a lot in this area just now and ecoSoftware is providing us the data to make informed decisions.

Looking forward to answering any questions around this topic!

@ddbrown

David and Roger - very good conversation thanks. David I am in the early stages of planning for VMWare deployment. As the operator of a data center can you tell me approximately how much power the typical Intel based server may utilize if running at say 25%, 50%, and 75% of cpu and IO capacity?

I am curious to see how much power I can save through some server consolidation initiatives.

many thanks

That’s a great question and while there are a number of factors that go into the power consumption of a server, such as the age, model and configuration of the server in question, right now we typically see between a 110 watts to 135 watts delta between idle and full load for an average physical server.

If you’re moving from a purely physical server to virtual server environment, the consolidation ratio will really have a larger affect on the total energy savings that can be accomplished. If you can achieve an 8:1 ratio of physical to virtual servers, that’s a huge change in total power consumed from your current model.

Where additional energy savings come in, is being able to reduce the capacity that is online during non-peak times, hibernating and/or placing physical servers in standby when they are not required. These times differ for each business, but examples of non-peak times, maybe holidays, weekends or overnight.

@ddbrown

Re:David Brown, President - Datotel 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 4  
Hi David - great interview. Our company is always interested in green initiatives especially when having a significant ROI. Our data center is run purely in house and will remain that way. Does your company offer any type of consulting services that would come in and do an analysis and recommendation on power consumption.

Go to top Post Reply