topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Peter J. Whatnell, Sr. Vice President, CIO, Sunoco, Inc. (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Peter J. Whatnell, Sr. Vice President, CIO, Sunoco, Inc.
Peter J. Whatnell, Sr. Vice President, CIO, Sunoco, Inc. 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  

ViewProfile

Do you have a question for Peter Whatnell or care to comment or discuss his video
interview? Please post them below. For private comments you can email Peter
directly from his profile link above.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2010/05/04 10:38 By KGB.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Peter J. Whatnell, Sr. Vice President, CIO, Sunoco, Inc. 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
Peter, welcome to Profiles & Perspectives Forum.

I had the pleasure of speaking with you at the last SIMposium in Seattle at the end of 2009. At the time, we in IT were all focused on our #1 concern -- watching and cutting costs. Recently, we've started to see a recovery (of sorts) accompanied by some growth and hiring in the IT sector. In your opinion, has this changed the landscape and priorities in terms of how CIOs should be thinking about cost management and how our priorities have changed?

Last Edit: 2010/04/23 18:42 By rlgreen.
Re:Peter J. Whatnell, Sr. Vice President, CIO, Sunoco, Inc. 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
Roger, That's a good question. I think that it depends on the industry; healthcare and power distribution in particular have a much more positive outlook. Others seem to be stable, but see little signs of an upturn, "flat is the new up" I heard someone say.
Even where cost reduction pressures have relaxed, a lot of the strategies we talked about server and desktop virtualization, moving to on-line services for example about are still relevant.

Although cost drivers may have started the move to new delivery models, I think that it has built a momentum that will carry the change forward beyond the recession. There is no going back.

Re:Peter J. Whatnell, Sr. Vice President, CIO, Sunoco, Inc. 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
Good interview, thanks Peter for sharing your insights. It was good to hear that other CIOs are considering "adopting new technologies sooner" rather than sitting on the sidelines and performing a pilot test or a long term cost benefit analysis.

I am always trying to find ways to leverage open source solutions in a cloud computing environment. Do you and your organization use any open source based solutions for any of your business processes or your data warehouses?

thanks

Re:Peter J. Whatnell, Sr. Vice President, CIO, Sunoco, Inc. 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
Historically we have not been a user of open source. That is more an accident of history than a result of a thoughtful analysis of options, opportunities and risks.

Going foward we are certainly open to consider open source components, and open source was a feature of our desk top virtualization pilot. Of course many of the on-line service providers that we looking at use open source as part of their solution but that is hidden from us.

Peter,
Really interesting interview. I was wondering, you mention the job of a CIO really hasn't been made harder by the shifts you suggested to the current business climate; which stress ROI and a business mindset toward saving money. Still, it seems like we, as CIOs, are being asked to do more with less. And by less I mean, less staff, less resources to dedicate to projects which are mission critical to the business. It may not be that way at Sunoco, but from my experience and in conversation with colleagues it seems that way to me. Where do you think you can strike a balance so that you can address the needs of your company with the needs of your staff, or with the needs of the group you are trying to service?

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
Best,
Barry

Last Edit: 2010/04/29 10:38 By Mullar.
Go to top Post Reply