topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Gregory D'alsandre, Wave Product Manager, Google (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Gregory D'alsandre, Wave Product Manager, Google
gregd ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Gregory D'alsandre, Wave Product Manager, Google 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
Glad you asked! We have an API designed to do precisely that. The idea is that anyone who wants to have a discussion online should be able to just embed a wave and get the full Google Wave interaction model for very little work (much in the same way people do it today with Google Maps). More information can be found here: http://code.google.com/apis/wave/embed/index.html

Bill Wilson wrote:
QUOTE:
After watching this video interview it has dawned on me that this forum with video embedded in it and the ability to share the video embed codes and provide collaboration is very similar to Google wave in concept. This forum may not be as feature rich as a wave but it is a good start.

Do you have any facilities in your API to embed a wave in this forum?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Gregory D'alsandre, Wave Product Manager, Google 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1  
Hi Greg,
I'm glad Roger Green was able to sit with you at Enterprise 2.0 and conduct this discussion. The video was very interesting and I think this forum thread will be a great way to carry forward that discussion.

My question has to do more with how you see enterprise and large enterprise in particular making use of Wave. Are there any current examples you have of some of the more unique ways corporations are currently implementing Wave?

Also, is Google Buzz a stepping stone for Google Wave? Given some of the overlap in functionality do you see these products complimenting one another? Will one be geared toward enterprises specifically?

Thanks,
John

Re:Gregory D'alsandre, Wave Product Manager, Google 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
I am interested to see this product for myself as some of its features seem to be well suited for some current problems I experience in my work. For me, as an at home author I deal with conversations with other editors and authors all the time and keeping track of these conversations can be quite interesting. As well working with other authors on specific shared projects can be even more interesting as our schedules are always a little different and this means email is used heavily.

I signed up for an account so hopefully I can get my current other authors interested in order to try this out for my current project.

Good luck with your future work.

-sean

I'd be curious to know what sort of learning curve you've experienced, particularly with enterprises that are testing Wave. In the early 1990s I helped spearhead at my former employer our early adoption of Lotus Notes, which was, in its day, a fairly radical evolution of email into collaborative document creation/storage/management. I still have the scars.

--Rob

gregd ()
JohnSane wrote:
QUOTE:
Hi Greg,
I'm glad Roger Green was able to sit with you at Enterprise 2.0 and conduct this discussion. The video was very interesting and I think this forum thread will be a great way to carry forward that discussion.

My question has to do more with how you see enterprise and large enterprise in particular making use of Wave. Are there any current examples you have of some of the more unique ways corporations are currently implementing Wave?

Also, is Google Buzz a stepping stone for Google Wave? Given some of the overlap in functionality do you see these products complimenting one another? Will one be geared toward enterprises specifically?

Thanks,
John

In the months since we started the preview, we've found that Google Wave has been most effective in getting started with small groups in enterprises. Those groups that work tightly together and move quickly are the lifeblood of most enterprises and where classic communication tools (such as email) break down the fastest. This is especially true for groups scattered across offices and time zones. Within these small groups, teams have been using it for lightweight task tracking, brainstorming, and running meetings. All things that email does poorly but often you don't want to put effort into a more complex tool (such as a formal Project Management tool).

In terms of Google Buzz, it is an interesting question, we do indeed see them as complimentary. Google Wave helps you get things done, Google Buzz gets information into the hands of the people who want it. Used together I could imagine it being a powerful combination for enterprises.

Thanks for the question!

gregd ()
srw134 wrote:
QUOTE:
I am interested to see this product for myself as some of its features seem to be well suited for some current problems I experience in my work. For me, as an at home author I deal with conversations with other editors and authors all the time and keeping track of these conversations can be quite interesting. As well working with other authors on specific shared projects can be even more interesting as our schedules are always a little different and this means email is used heavily.

I signed up for an account so hopefully I can get my current other authors interested in order to try this out for my current project.

Good luck with your future work.

-sean

Thanks Sean!

If you signed up at wave.google.com you should get an account within a day or so. I'd love to hear how it works for you. The one piece of advice I'd give is get started with a goal in mind. Getting started with any new application is tricky and we've found that people who start using Google Wave with a specific use in mind as opposed to playing around are able to ramp-up more quickly.

Go to top Post Reply