topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Jamie Pappas - Social Media Strategist EMC Corp (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Jamie Pappas - Social Media Strategist EMC Corp
Re:Jamie Pappas - Social Media Strategist EMC Corp 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
Thanks so much! I am so thrilled to be able to share EMC's story and converse with folks who are facing the same things we are!

We do often hear that we are "ahead of the curve" in regards to embracing Enterprise 2.0 tools and technologies, as well as social media tools and technologies.

Having said that, I always love talking with other companies about their endeavors as I always learn something new that I think will be helpful for us to embrace in our strategy.

I think that one of the things we did that a lot of other companies that I've spoken with didn't do is start inside the firewall with our internal community. We intentionally started behind the firewall to see what the level of interest and interaction would be with our employees, what level of awareness and education would be beneficial to them, and how they were going to use the tools so we could capture additional "real-life" use cases. That served us very well - starting internally before embracing external social media tools.

I am very pleased with our progress, but also know that we have a long way to go in order to get the most value out of both sets of tools.

All the best,
Jamie

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
scarr ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Jamie Pappas - Social Media Strategist EMC Corp 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0  
Jamie, great conversation, good to see a company like EMC is out in front of Social Media and is an early adopter. In my unofficial role of Social Media evangelist I have be trying to push my organization forward in a similar way but I have yet not been as successful as you.

I have 2 questions if you do not mind:

1 ) Has EMC set up any official guidelines for it's employees using external social media networks such as a linkedin, twitter or even CIOZone? Do you have an official policy or do you coach, encourage or discourage your employees from discussing and engaging their peers and partners in a public forum?

2) For both internal and external social networks but especially your internal EMC network, I am curious, do you find women to be more open or social in a public forum then men? Or do both seem likely to use these tools equally when the opportunity presents itself. I base this question on anecdotal personal experience where I tend to see more women engaging on consumer based social networks and was wondering if this carries over into the professional or B to B space.

Many Thanks..

Hi There,

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments and thoughtful questions! If there is anything I can do to help you along your journey, please do not hesitate to ask!

1) We do encourage employees to use both our internal community as well as external social media tools in a way that would make EMC proud, as well as provide a human face with authentic interaction between employees and customers, partners, prospects, developers, analysts, future employees - really anyone with an interest in EMC, at all.

EMC has always taken a "reinforce existing policies and common sense behaviors" approach when it comes to both internal and external social initiatives. As such, we developed a "Blogging and Social Web Guidelines" document that reinforces our existing policies where we expect employees will find answers to most of their questions - policies such as Electronic Communications, Business Conduct, Information Confidentiality, and Appropriate Use of IT Systems at EMC all set forth the true policies that we believe employees should follow, and are also a part of every employees onboarding and orientation.

For the sake of reinforcing those "common sense" behaviors, we also elaborate and make suggestions such as "Be respectful. Be professional. Never forget that you're an EMC employee. Be transparent. Give credit to others' ideas." and so on. The idea is for us to share examples of things we wish for employees to do rather than try to come up with a list of the things we don't want them to do, as we already have formal policies for those things.

We also suggest for employees, that when they are in doubt about whether or not something is appropriate, they should speak with their manager and/or HR representative.

2) This is a tough question - as it seems largely to depend on the topic as to the level of participation for men vs. women in any given situation. I would say that we've not taken any hard look at it, but it does vary greatly among topics at hand. We do have a very large and proud working mother's group at EMC that often provides wonderful support to both working mothers and fathers at EMC looking for advice and guidance on any variety of topics.

We've also not seen a great deal of distinction between the generations when it comes to using these tools - again it varies on the topic at hand for the most part.

We do tend to see a lot of remote employee (that is, not based at corporate headquarters) really engaging in the tools and conversations, regardless of gender or generation - and I think that is great because it provides those employees with a way to see what's going on at corporate, as well as share what's going on in their remote offices. We've also had some phenomenal world-wide collaborative efforts spring up thanks to social media, such as EMC's Annual Innovation Conference - that's to social media and other channels, we were able to literally host a world-wide event that was broadcast to all locations and have various presentations from all over the world going on at the same time and being shared with the rest of the company. I've never seen such a global event before, and many EMCers were able to participate in it that would not have otherwise been able to thanks to the ease with which we were able to share the information.

I hope this helps to answer your questions!

Happy to chat further anytime!

All the best,
Jamie

Re:Jamie Pappas - Social Media Strategist EMC Corp 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
Hello Jamie,

Being new to social media from an occupational/business perspective, I found your interview very interesting and enlightening.

As I was listening to the interview, a few questions/thoughts came to mind.

1). Have you found any interesting patterns in tool usage and/or engagement around events, product launches, announcements, etc.?

2). Are you seeing any particular engagement trends based on job title/function/responsibility?

3). Out of the 15k registered users, are you measuring increase/decrease in employee productivity?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

All the best you!

Re:Jamie Pappas - Social Media Strategist EMC Corp 6 Years ago Karma: 0  
Hello!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful questions!

1). Have you found any interesting patterns in tool usage and/or engagement around events, product launches, announcements, etc.?

Our product teams are using the tools as an integrated part of their overall launch strategies - internally, we see communication and collaboration around pre-launch activities. Externally, we see those teams using the tools to further the message, increase awareness and even get feedback on the new offerings. The same is very true for announcements and general news and events and event planning.

2). Are you seeing any particular engagement trends based on job title/function/responsibility?

We definitely saw some groups embrace the tools more quickly than others. For example, our competitive intelligence group was among the first to embrace EMC|ONE and integrate it as a part of their daily activities for sharing real-time information on competitors. It's also become a hot place for our sales folks to ask questions and seek use cases and scenarios when entering a situation with specific competitors.

Other groups that were quick to embrace the community were Employment Branding (a component of HR), remote employees (not based at corporate), product engineering, and product marketing.

The groups that have taken a bit longer to embrace the community, although they are also using it now, include IT, HR (benefits), and legal, which is not that unexpected, given the nature of those organizations and their focus on compliance.

A major factor that has enabled us to have steady increases in user adoption is tailoring the message to each group of stakeholders to meet their individual needs and use cases. In other words, we do not approach it as a "one size fits all", rather understand each groups individual needs and pain points and showcase how the community can help them to address those needs and challenges. That has enabled us to speak their language and address their specific concerns and challenges up front, as well as develop a robust understanding of use cases for hte community.

3). Out of the 15k registered users, are you measuring increase/decrease in employee productivity?

We are not doing any hard and fast measurements/metrics around productivity for individuals using the community to accomplish their work, although I'd love to get to a point where we can do that. A lot of our metrics and use cases tend to be more qualitative in nature based on employee feedback, rather than quantitative measurements based on hard numbers.

I hope this helps to answer your questions! Happy to chat further!

All the best,
Jamie

Go to top Post Reply