topleft topright
CIOZone Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Dr. Ian Howells, Chief Marketing Officer, Alfresco Software (1 viewing) (1) Guest

Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Dr. Ian Howells, Chief Marketing Officer, Alfresco Software
Re:Dr. Ian Howells, Chief Marketing Officer, Alfresco Software 6 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
Hi John,

Thank you for the comments and questions.

Open source is a phenomenally disruptive business and marketing model and as I said in the interview, from an open source perspective, is a winners takes all game with "baby gorillas"- Red Hat, MySQL, JBoss, Alfresco, SugarCRM, Firefox ...

This has caused consolidation in the traditional software space as their sales model becomes unprofitable - e.g Vignette to OpenText, Interwoven to Autonomy recently.

The only distribution model that comes close to open source is Microsoft and SharePoint has been a very successful product. SharePoint is substantially more expensive than open source when there are large volumes of seats but the choice is also strongly influenced by - "Do I want to tie my whole stack to Microsoft - Windows, SQL Srever, ,NET, IIS, SharePoint Portal ... or retain control and choice."

The Cloud today is built on open source and runs on opensource - Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP/Python and also Xen.
Licensing models make the cloud ideal for open source - just look at the list of Amazon AMI's that are mostly open source. We see the cloud as a massive new channel.

I hope this answers your questions

ian

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
scarr ()
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Dr. Ian Howells, Chief Marketing Officer, Alfresco Software 6 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
Dr. Howells,

Does Alfresco offer a fully hosted ASP or cloud offering to organizations that allow us to try the software on your servers? If so what are the pricing options for such a service. If you do not offer do you have a group of expert certified engineers that can help organizations jumpstart their efforts?

Thanks

Re:Dr. Ian Howells, Chief Marketing Officer, Alfresco Software 6 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
Hi

We see disruption in the cloud occurring across a number of areas:

1. Simple instant provisioning for development and testing with no machine purchase - CapEx vs. OpEx
2. Simple instant provisioning for users/companies - small and medium businesses
3. Simple instant elasticity for unpredictable workloads - particularly retail and utilities

1. Alfresco has a development offering - http://bit.ly/ceyMZl
2. Alfresco has recently announced an Amazon EC2 offering for early adopters - http://bit.ly/aZ8oK7
3. Alfresco has announced a relationship with RightScale - http://bit.ly/9d8BJD

2. above will provide details on what you discussed.

Thanks for the question. The cloud is an area where I am doing a lot of work.

ian

Go to top Post Reply